If you have heard in the gym or through the media that gluten is bad for you, it is.
Here are five reasons why gluten should be a no go.
1. Gluten causes inflammation in at least 80% of the population.
2. About 1 in 133 people in developed nations have intolerance to gluten (Celiac disease), some of which is severe enough to be life-threatening.
3. Gluten is the Latin word for glue!, so next time you are feeding your other half bread sticks while eating a nice Italian, if you run out, you can always use a pritt stick instead. Also, have you ever done the test to see if your spag bol is ready by throwing it at the wall and it sticks, that’s the gluten, so do you want that clogging up your insides?
4. The reason why gluten is a trouble maker is mainly down to the protein Gliadin. This protein can have a similar structure to other proteins found in such organs as the thyroid and pancreas, and as our antibodies fight against Gliadin they can attack these organs and may cause autoimmune diseases like hypothyroidism and type 1 diabetes. Partner that with the high GI that a lot of these foods have and you have a recipe for disaster, pardon the pun.
5. Gluten’s inflammatory effect in the gut causes intestinal cells to die prematurely and causes oxidation on those cells. This effect creates a leaky gut and a leaky gut can allow bacterial proteins and other toxic compounds to get in the blood stream. This can also lead to autoimmune attacks on the body. A leaky gut also means that food is not digested properly and nutrients are not absorbed fully, which can lead to nutrient deficiencies.
This list could go on, including Celiacs disease and heart disease, plus much more. I appreciate as much as anybody that in today’s society it is hard to avoid gluten filled products and they have become a staple part of every meal in today’s diet. Try to cut back at least and if you want to eat some grains, stick to natural gluten free products like white rice and gluten free oats. Like I have said in previous posts, carbs and grains such as white rice can be used to our advantage when in need of higher energy requirements, but if your day consists of sitting at a desk then going home and watching tv then meats, fish, good fats and veggies are what you require. Don’t be fooled by some of the gluten free treats aswell, alot of these contain fillers like potato starch and are packed with sugar among other things that are not brilliant for your body in the amounts that they come in with these products.